Here's a term I hadn't heard before, which must be a fixture in government and defense research: "Heilmeier's questions", for anyone launching a project or developing a product:
- What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What's new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares?If you're successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks and the payoffs?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What are the midterm and final "exams" to check for success?
It's an interesting alternative to the startup/ entrepreneur/ busines discussion of new projects.